Thursday, February 5, 2009

Sunny Places

Visitation is tomorrow. Funeral on Saturday. Fly to Miami on Sunday. Leave with cruise to Mexico on Monday. A very odd mix.

"Dad, what do you think others will think?" I wondered about our family decision to get away.

"I thought about it, and I don't care," he told me. And neither do I.

My sister wanted to go to a sunny place after the ceremonies, and that's where we're going, to a sunny place, like mom.

"What about when you have to go back to the cloudy place?" I asked my sister about her proposal.

"That's when we'll have to take it one step at a time."

It will be good family time to connect, get annoyed, tell stories of our mom, and relax.

But most importantly, it will be a moment to redefine a changed family - by remembering our mom and taking a step forward, together.

1 comment:

Gruntled said...

So, did you get a good prom story?